Monday, May 25, 2009

Tribbles...They're Everywhere...


I never knew I had so much stuff until I had to pack it all up and bring it home. It would appear that, like tribbles, my things seem to reproduce like bunny rabbits. I guess it could have been worse. In fact, my roommates seemed to have a much harder time than I packing up all of their things. Lucky for me I managed to keep my room fairly clean which made packing less of a chore. Now that finals are over and I'm relatively unpacked back at home I will continue to make regular posts to this blog...just in case anyone is reading.

First on my list of things to talk about is the new Star Trek movie. While I know many people disregard it as a fan boy film of little merit, I was surprised by J.J. Abrams adaptation. While I have been a Star Trek fan for some time I can't say that I grew up with the series or know all that there is to know. That being said, I was impressed that Abrams was able to make his film something that both fans and newcomers alike could enjoy. For the long time fans there were the occasional references to the original series including a few token phrases (McCoy's "I'm a doctor, not a..." or Scotty's "I'm giving it all she's got captain!"). For the newcomers (like my roommates) there was plenty of ship to ship combat and a few epic fight scenes including a particularly memorable sword fight. Of course, it wouldn't be Star Trek without a little tampering with the space-time continuum or subcutaneous philosophical debate and, luckily for Abrams, he caught on to these Star Trek nuances and integrated them quite nicely into the film. All in all, it was certainly worth the ten dollar ticket and the late night show. For those of you who haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment